Sunday 4 December 2011

While My Guitar Gently Weeps...



I know I said the last cake was the last of the year...well clearly not.

A friend of mine asked me if I would be interested in making a 60th cake for her Dad's party.  It was a pleasure to re-create an acoustic guitar for her.

There were many many challenges faced along the way with this cake - not least the insane temperatures and humidity of the past 2 weeks.  This really is such a challenge when working with both chocolate and fondant.

The Mud cakes were made and cut a week before the deadline allowing them time to freeze and sit.  I find this is really beneficial to the 'muddiness' of a cake.

The guitar was then ganached and sealed in two parts - the guitar and the handle.

I then assembled them on the presentation board joining them with chocolate ganache and applying the fondant layer.

The intense heat and humidity meant the fondant was incredibly soft to work with and a few small tears and unevenness was evident.  I just took my time and tried to think it through logically.  It was by no measn the most smooth and polished of my cakes but it turned out quite well all things considered.  If the weather had been a little more kind to us it might have been better.

I believe Jim had a great 60th and the cake was a hit.  Thanks for thinking of me Mel and I was so pleased to help out.

Another Christmas post coming soon,

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment