Friday 7 October 2011

Evil Black & White Layered Brownies


OK I have a friend who taunts me.  Every day she sends me links to other baking blogs with the weirdest most wonderful creations.  So cruel, as I am slurping on my protein shake or eating huge plate of vegies and chicken during the week hanging out for Baking Friday.  I know I know - its Saturday.  Yes but I DID bake yesterday but I was so tired last night I didn't get these beauties written up or photographed - a few did get eaten tho!

These were my brainchild after reading several blogs this week kindly supplied by my lowcarb nemesis Hayley!  A combination of traditional chocoate brownie on bottom with white chocolate 'blondie' on the top with chocolate choc chip cookies -some Reeces PB Cups and raspberries all thrown in for good measure.  These are heavenly - probably toooooo heavenly hence I have called them Evil since they tend to call your name from the kitchen when you ignore them.

It is thundery and raining in SE Qld today with the odd flash of lighening thrown in for good measure so a perfect day to bake these beauties and sit in front of a DVD and devour them!!!  For me, treat day is done so Im back to the protein and veges sadly dreaming of Friday and what I'll bake for you next week.

These are beautiful warmed with a scoop of icecream on top my Husband tells me...  Super easy to make too and all Gluten Free!!!  Don't be put off by the large ingredient list, it really is a chuck everything in a bowl and go kinda thing and its very forgiving.

Ingredients
Choc Brownie for bottom layer
200g Chocolate Milk or Dark whichever is your preference
175g Unsalted Butter
300g Caster Sugar
130g Plain GF Flour
3 eggs


Add Ins
Whatever u fancy...
I used Chocolate Choc chip cookies and some Reeces PB Cups


Blondie - or White Choc Brownie Layer
150g White Chocolate
125g Unsalted Butter
150g Caster Sugar
2 eggs
1.5 teaspoons Vanilla extract
200g Plan GF Flour
Handful Frozen Raspberries (optional) or you could use nuts



  1. Line a large sheet cake tin or small roasting dish with baking paper and spray liberally with oil or grease with butter.
  2. Turn oven to 160C
  3. Firstly make the Choc Brownie Layer.  In a large bowl break up the chocolate (dark or milk) and add the measured butter.  I melted in the microwave for 2 mins on 60% power checking that nothing burned.
  4. Now mix in your sugar stirring briskly to cool down a little too before adding your eggs and mix until thick and smooth lastly add your flour and stir well until fully incorporated.  I like to throw in a little extra handful of choc chips at this point too.(naughty)
  5. Spread the mix over the base of your tin.  It will be shallow but thats OK.  If you're struggling to spread it take a desert spoon dip it in hot water and it will spread nicely :-)
  6. Now rinse your bowl and begin the white brownie.  Again break up your white choc and add your butter and micro it at 60% for 2 min - this will melt faster so keep an eye on it.
  7. Remove and add sugar stirring well - add in the vanilla extract, eggs and stir until completely combined.
  8. Now add your flour and mix thoroughly.  Lastly add your handful of frozen raspberries or nuts to the mix.
  9. Before you pour this mix over the top of the brown layer, you have some wonderful "add-ins' to layer in there.
  10. Add your fave biscuits or lollies here.  I used GF Choc chip cookies laid whole in a single layer with about 4 Reeces PB Cups dotted in for good measure.
  11. Now spread the white 'blondie' mix over the top and pop it in the oven.
  12. Bake for approx 35-40 minutes before removing and cooling on a wire rack.
  13. Cut into generous squares and enjoy.
For a really decadent desert make a thick caramel sauce pour over the warmed brownie and add a scoop of good vanilla icecream - A W E S O M E.

Enjoy !
Lx

2 comments:

  1. hi your cake is so amazing and not only this recipe I also look your other post they are really great and would love to try them =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Raquel ! I just love the challenge of baking Gluten Free. I try to write all my recipes so that anyone of any ability can give them a go. Every success and thanks for checking out the blog :-)

    ReplyDelete