Saturday 24 September 2011

Strawberry Lamington Pillows


Really, these are Lamingtons but rather than using pink icing I am using the Strawberry Jelly version which I guess technically makes them Jelly Squares.  But for all intents and purposes you have two little sponge squares coated in lovely pink strawberry yuminess - rolled in desiccated coconut then sandwiched together with a little cream.  I like the sandwiching thing.  Especially as my GF sponge did not rise very high (it would have if I had not split my mix in half) and I used a slice pan instead of a Lamington tin - technicalities sheesh!  I also liked making them bite sized - I need the calorie control...


I have always been defeated by Gluten Free sponge but this recipe nailed it.  Absolutely gorgeous fluffy and light just melting in the mouth.  I dare anyone to tell me Gluten Free cannot be light and airy.  I may try baking this recipe again in a large cake tin in one hit to see how the larger sponge turns out.  Key to the lightness of the sponge is that 10 minute (! yes don't skimp) beating time for the eggs at the beginning - thats what gives you the lightness and not doorstops for sponges.


I love a Lamington but have never seen a GF one to buy but I hear such a mythical creature does exist in some far flung places - obviously nobody is flinging any near me!  A little fiddly - yes, but cute ?  Yeah.  Don't you think so ?

Ingredients
4 Free Range Eggs
3/4 Cup Caster Sugar
1 Cup GF Self Raising Flour
1 Teaspoon GF Baking Powder


1 packet Red Jelly Crystals - strawberry or raspberry
Desiccated Coconut
Cream



  1. Make up the Jelly as directed and place in fridge to cool and come to desired "Runny cake mix consistency".  Make sure it doesn't set too far as it won't stick to cake.
  2. Heat oven to 160C fan forced.  Little higher if not fan forced.
  3. In a large bowl or in your bowl mixer if you have one, beat your 4 eggs for 10 full minutes until thick and very creamy.
  4. Gradually add the sugar to the eggs continue beating until sugar is dissolved.  You can test for this by pinching a little of the mixture between thumb and forefinger and rubbing.  If you still feel granules keep beating a little longer.
  5. Sift the flour and Baking powder into the mix and carefully fold it into the egg mix being careful to keep the beautiful air in the mix.
  6. Into the greased and lined cake tin pour your mix - don't worry if you have to do it in two halves like I did it was fine waiting for the first lot to cook.
  7. Bake until set - about 35 - 40 minutes.  Remove and turn out immediately onto a wire cake rack that has been covered in a sheet of baking paper.
  8. Once cool - using a large sharp knife trim the edges of the cake and slice to the size you want for your lamington.  I did not need to refrigerate mine but if crumbly place in freezer for about 5-10 minutes.
  9. With the jelly in one bowl and the coconut in another have one large plate or tray handy to place the coated lamingtons on.  If using a tray line it with baking paper.
  10. I used the wet hand dry hand method.  One hand dips in the jelly, the other coats with the coconut - meaning each hand stays relatively clean and doesn't end up with a huge mess.
  11. Leave them to dry out a little before assembling.
  12. You can sandwich them like I did by whipping a little cream and putting them together.  They taste deeeevine. 
The PERFECT gluten free lamington fix and actually not as hard or fiddly as I thought.  Love these 100% more than Whoopie Pies - the Americans can keep those - give me an Aussie Lamington any day!

Lxx

No comments:

Post a Comment